Sunday, September 27, 2009

It's been a while...

Well shortly after my last post I got everything (internet & cable). I actually don't really watch t.v. that much, so I'm going to cancel it. Anything I want to watch I can get it online. Yea! I was so happy to get the internet! Even though I had it at work, I felt like something was missing. I guess it wasn't really a big deal. Oh well, I was very happy to get it installed.

Lets see... a couple weeks ago I went to Everland (the biggest amusement park in SK) with my co-teachers and the SPED teacher, Hyen Ju and the school nurse, Bo ki. I had a lot of fun. There is a zoo and an amusement park in one. I haven't been to an amusement park in years. There were also fireworks. It was quite a nice display. I also love fireworks. I think I could watch a display every weekend and be happy each time. Never too much!

Classes are going really well. I think I am kind of getting the hang of things. I also went to orientation last week and got some great ideas! Also, the students are great. Like I have said many times, I am very happy with my school, students and teachers. I really am very lucky.

Last week was orientation. I had a great time! It was from Wed-Fri. I would have to say that a lot of it was very helpful. I got some great ideas that I will definitely be using in class. I also learned some very useful things about the culture and such that is very helpful. For instance, when you ask some one to come here you do it palm down. In the U.S. we do it palm up. I didn't know that, and have already noticed the difference when speaking to people. I also met tons of people!!!! Yea!!! New friends! I was quite happy. It was nice because we were grouped by location. So, I had my small group sessions with people from Yongin and the nearby areas. Also, my roommate was really cool. We were in different small groups, but that was nice because I was able to meet her friends as well. The more the merrier right? Anyways, on the bus ride home I had a nice geography lesson over S. Africa. It fun to learn.

Last weekend, I went with my co-teacher and her kids to Gyeongbokgung Palace. I loved it. My co-teacher, Ju-ri, set me on an English tour guide. I forgot her name, but she was good. I love history, historical places, and museums, so obviously I had a great time. We saw a traditional ceremony with dances. Right now, I am at work, but when I get home I will post pictures.

Then on Saturday night I went Osan to a friends birthay. I met a group of people that lived in Osan from the soccer game, and they invited me out for Shawn's b-day. It was a lot of fun. We ended up going to a Nori Bang. It is so much fun! It's a karaoke, but it's not just normal karaoke. It is a small room with a long table with booth style seating. It has a karaoke machine, with a huge playlist. You can order food and drinks and stay there all night and we did! What a blast! Well I will update pictures soon!

Badminton!!!!

So, every Monday after school a group of 20 or so teachers meet at the nearby middle school gym to play badminton. It's so much fun! At first, I was horrible. I mean I'm not a pro or anything, but I am definitely improving. I hope to be able to say that I am a decent player by the end of the year. I really enjoy it, and after playing we always have dinner. It is also nice because I am able to get to know the teachers outside of school. I really like the teachers at my school...I can't say it enough.

Well hope you like the pics!

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you're really enjoying your time in South Korea. That is awesome! I'm so glad you were put in a good school with good students and good teachers/friends. I can just see little Liz out there holding her own on the Badminton court :) I can't wait to see pics!!! Have a good week. We still miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are having a great time so far! It's so nice that you have made friends with your co-teachers, it sounds like you all get along really well! The more friends you have, the more you will enjoy your time in S. Korea! :) I am glad you are keeping busy and having fun, I can't wait to see pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adventurer you are! I think it's great. You are able to really get involved in Korean culture. When we talk on the phone or gmail chat, I hear you picking up words, customs, a sense of how they do things. When Mom and I come over, you'll be a great tour guide.

    Love you.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I've been e-mailing you back, not realizing I can post on here! Wow, I'm brilliant :/ I'm sooooo happy to be in the "Liz loop" and be able to read about all of your adventures. It makes me feel so proud of you, like a sister or something :) Your co-teachers, teachers, students, and friends are so inviting. I'm glad to see have risen to the opportunity. I hope this opportunity is all that you hoped and more!

    Miss you Liz!

    Whit

    ReplyDelete